الولايات المتحدة. ويمكن كبح عمل الحكومة الذي يشكله تغير المناخ المخاطر على الأمن الغذائي العالمي, ويقول تقرير جديد من "مجلس شيكاغو" "الشؤون العالمية".
التقرير, Advancing Global Food Security in the Face of a Changing Climate, is being released today at the Council’s Global Food Security Symposium 2014 in Washington DC. الولايات المتحدة. National Security Advisor Susan E. الأرز, الولايات المتحدة. Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack and USAID Administrator Rajiv Shah are delivering keynote addresses. Watch live streaming video of the event atYouTube.com/TheChicagoCouncil.
The report calls on the U.S. government to integrate climate change adaptation into its global food security strategy. Recommendations include:
- Passing legislation for a long-term global food and nutrition security strategy.
- Increasing funding for agricultural research on climate change adaptation. Research priorities should include improving crop and livestock tolerance to higher temperatures and volatile weather, combating pests and disease and reducing food waste.
- Collecting better data and making information on weather more widely available to farmers. There are significant global data gaps right now on weather; water availability, جودة, and future requirements; crop performance; استخدام الأراضي; and consumer preferences.
- Increasing funding for partnerships between U.S. universities and universities and research institutions in low-income countries, to train the next generation of agricultural leaders.
- Advancing international action through urging that food security be addressed through the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change and the Post-2015 Sustainable Development Goals.
A bipartisan group of scientific, الأعمال التجارية, and policy leaders led by former Congressmen Dan Glickman (د), الولايات المتحدة السابق. وزير الزراعة, and Doug Bereuter, president emeritus of The Asia Foundation (R), have endorsed the report’s recommendations. Gerald C. نيلسون, a leading expert on climate change and food security, was the principal author. مشروع القانون & Melinda Gates Foundation and PepsiCo provided generous support to make this report possible.